Role Description: Treasurer
We have compiled these documents purely as a guide for prospective and existing trustees. They are not exhaustive or reflective of every task that anyone may ever need to carry out. LGBTQ Youth Cornwall is proud of the democracy and inclusiveness of our trustees and would stress that should anyone be uncomfortable carrying out any task, we should hope that another trustee would be willing to absorb this as part of their role.
Tasks which may regularly be carried out by the Treasurer include:
- Attending meetings of the trustees and advisory group and preparing reports on the financial status of the group for these meetings.
- Maintaining a database of incoming and outgoing funds and monitoring activity in the bank account.
- Receiving bank statements and checking activity against database.
- Preparing payments of wages, tax to HMRC and other outgoings from the group.
- Authorising payments and seeking signatures from second trustees as and when appropriate.
- Liaising with external person who prepares payroll each month.
- Preparing accounts for summary and scrutiny at the AGM.
- Fundraising and completing funding applications.
- Delivering training both internally and externally on behalf of the group.
- Attending meetings and acting as the ‘supervisory trustee’.
- Communicating with trustees by phone and e-mail.
- Positively promoting the group and its activities among LGBT and generic communities.
- Providing support for young people in the absence of paid workers/volunteers.
- Supporting young people and workers at events such as pride.
- Organised and punctual person with good timekeeping skills and ability to see tasks through.
- Clear and effective communication skills and the ability to communicate financial information and priorities succinctly.
- Experience of voluntary groups and the statutory sector.
- Experience of maintaining a database, working with money, payroll and HMRC.
- Experience of working with minority communities, or a desire to do so.
- The ability to provide a satisfactory Enchanced DBS disclosure.
- Experience of taking a senior trustee role within a similar organisation.
- Ability to positively promote the group and the experience of being LGBTQ in Cornwall today.