Role Description: Advisory Panel Member
LGBTQ Youth Cornwall is operated by a panel of trustees. In addition to this we appoint and unstated number of members to our advisory panel at each AGM. These are people who have specialist knowledge which contributes to the core aims of LGBTQ Youth Cornwall to provide dedicated services throughout Cornwall for people who are under 25 and identify as LGBT or who are questioning their own sexual orientation or gender role. Members of the advisory panel are invited to a minimum of four meetings a year with the trustees.
Tasks which may regularly be carried out by members of the advisory panel include:
- Attending meetings of trustees and the advisory group.
- Informing the trustees of any specific information which may be of use/interest. For instance, Pride arrangements or developments in the Police/NHS.
- Advising the trustees of how best to proceed in their specialist area.
- Looking for sources of potential funding for the group.
- Forming a part of subcommittees or taking on particular specialist roles such as marketing or web support in line with their specialism.
- Communicating with trustees, and advisory members by phone and e-mail.
- Positively promoting the group and its activities among LGBT and generic communities.
- Providing support for young people in the absence of paid workers/volunteers.
- Supporting young people and workers at events such as pride.
- Person with a specialist area of knowledge either as relates to young people (so a paediatric nurse) or being LGBTQ in Cornwall (so members of the Cornwall Pride committee).
- Organised and punctual person with good timekeeping skills and ability to see tasks through.
- An interest in voluntary groups or charities.
- A genuine interest in the wellbeing of young people, especially those from minority groups and the success of LGBTQ Youth Cornwall.
- The ability to provide a satisfactory Enhanced DRB disclosure.
- Ability to positively promote the group and the experience of being LGBTQ in Cornwall today.